For this interview I talked to Clara, my host-mom’s granddaughter. My host-mom has three daughters: two are married, and one has a daughter. Clara is four years old and lives nearby so she comes over a lot to visit. I asked her these questions and am just translating her answers here, so they will be in the first person.
- What’s it like to be a kid?
It is fun, I get to play games a lot and color. I like summer because we don’t have school. I am sad summer is over. But my new school is not so bad, we color a lot there too.
- What is your house like?
We don’t have a house, we have an apartment. It is very big. I have my own room. That’s where I keep all my toys. My mom and dad live in another room. There is a TV where I watch cartoons. In the kitchen my mommy makes me food and I eat it on my table. Sometimes she lets me eat in the TV room. I like that.
- What do you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
For breakfast I like to eat cereal with bananas. Other times I like to eat beans and rice. I like beans and rice a lot, especially feijoada. But we only get that on special occasions. I wish I could eat more candy, that’s why I like Easter so much.
- What chores do you have at home?
I have to pick up all my toys after I finish playing with them.
- What jobs do your parents have?
My mom stays home and plays with me but my daddy leaves every day. He works at the bank.
- What time does school start, and what time do you go home?
I go to school every morning (at 10:00AM) and then come back after napping (at 3:00PM).
- How do you get to school? Are you allowed to go to school by yourself?
No, I can’t go to school by myself! My mom walks me to school
- What do you eat for lunch, and where do you eat? What is your favorite food?
My mom packs me a lunch for school. Most of the time it is a sandwich and fruits. Sometimes she will put candy. Candy is my favorite food.
- What language do you speak at school? How do you say “Hello”? in your language?
I only speak Portuguese! “Hello” is “oi!”
- What are some common kids’ names at your school?
Maria, Flavia, Camila, João, Guilherme, Francisco
- What subjects do you study in school, and which one is your favorite?
I like learning how to read. It is fun to be able to read. I want to be able to read by myself.
- What is your homework like?
I have to color a lot and practice writing the letters in the alphabet. I learn about different animals, too.
- What do you like to do after school? Do you have a favorite sport or game?
I am a ballerina! I go to ballet class after school some days. Some days I just go home and watch cartoons.
- Who is your favorite famous person?
Justin Bieber! I love Justin Bieber. I want to come to America and meet Justin Bieber!!
- What kinds of music do you listen to?
I like the songs on the radio. Those are a lot of fun. I like Galinha Pintadinha a lot, those are fun songs.
- What would you like to be when you grow up?
I want to be a Chef and cook delicious things all the time like my mom does. I could bake cakes all day and then eat them.
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
I would go to the United States! I want to go to Disney World a lot, it looks like a lot of fun and then I could meet all the Disney characters.
- What do you know or think about the United States?
I think the United States is very big and very far away and it is very different from Brazil. My mom and dad love the U.S. and always want to go there but we have not gone yet. My aunt lives in Canada so we might go visit there.
- What questions do you have for kids in the United States?
Do you like Justin Bieber?
Have you been to Disney World?
Do you like to color?
What is your favorite cartoon? Why?
Do you like living the US?
Would you want to visit Brazil?