Read my article about a Moroccan child’s daily life!
1. What is your house like?
There are three floors. It is made of cement and bricks.
2. What do you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
For breakfast I eat bread, cheese and cereals and juice. I also have to drink milk, which I don’t like so I try to hide it, but my dad sits now and watch me as I drink it. Sometimes I also eat omelets and cakes. For lunch, there are three courses. First, there are salads, which have lettuce, tomatoes, onions, tuna, corn, carrots and cucumbers. Then there is some meal usually with meat in it. Then we eat fruits for desserts. We usually follow the same pattern for dinner.
3. What chores do you have at home?
My nanny takes care of most of the household chores. There are some things my mommy insists that I learn and she wants me to be in the kitchen and learn from my nanny. My nanny loves me, though, so when mommy isn’t looking she allows me to go play instead.
4. What jobs do your parents have?
My mommy is a teacher and my daddy works for the Ministry of Livestock.
5. What time does school start, and what time do you go home?
I go out at 8:15 and leave at 4:15. We have a lunch break between 12:15 and 1:15.
6. How do you get to school? Are you allowed to go to school by yourself?
I take the school bus. My parents don’t come with me.
7. What do you eat for lunch, and where do you eat? What is your favorite food?
I eat lunch at home and my favorite food is a special type of tajine (a stew) with meat and prunes.
8. What language do you speak at school? How do you say “Hello?” in your language?
We speak Arabic and French in school. We also learn English as a foreign language during English period. Some children learn English younger than others who study it until high school. We say salam walli kum.
9. What are some common kids’ names at your school?
They are Mohammed, Amin, Anas, Ismail Yasine for boys and Meryem, Rajae, Fatima, Sara and Salma for girls.
10. What subjects do you study in school, and which one is your favorite?
We study many things including Math, English and Science, but French is my favorite.
11. Who is you favorite famous person?
I don’t know.
12. What kinds of music do you listen to?
I like pop but not as much as before when I liked the Backstreet Boys.
13. What would you like to be when you grow up?
I want to study many things and use that knowledge with computers somehow.
14. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
15. What do you know or think about the United States?
I know it’s a developed country. I’ve been to Texas and I would like to see more.